Due to the Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) Events May be Cancelled. Please Refer to the Official Organization’s Website for More Details.
The Neon Museum invites qualified artists to submit proposals for participation in the annual National Artist Residency. An artist working in the fields of performance or visual arts will be chosen to create a project inspired by the Neon Museum collection, sponsored and supported by the Neon Museum. The residency project will span eight weeks from June 15 through August 7, 2020.
The artist is encouraged to engage with the Neon Museum collection, the extraordinary city in which it resides, and the diverse local community. Public programming should include an educational workshop component or similar engagement project. An artist talk is scheduled at the beginning of the residency to introduce the artist’s work to the community and a studio open house at the residency conclusion.
This project is open to artists based in the United States over the age of 18. (Neon Museum employees are not eligible to apply.)
The artist will be selected on the criteria of demonstrated artistic excellence, clarity of residency goals, quality and benefit of proposed public program, and a demonstrated ability to complete the project within the project schedule (found on page 2). Previous experience with workshop development and implementation, community programming and collaborative work would be an advantage, but not a prerequisite.
• The studio space provided comprises approximately 1,000 square feet within the Neon Museum’s 12,000 square foot Ne10 Studio. This warehouse space has a ceiling height of 19 feet and is climate controlled.
• One-bedroom apartment lodging with kitchen facilities is provided in nearby downtown Las Vegas.
• The Neon Museum also provides access to the sign collection and archives, marketing and publicity, photographic documentation and staffing support to assist with administering the public programming component.
• The Neon Museum is not currently able to provide neon bending facilities, and neon production is not a prerequisite of the residency project. However, if a resident artist is interested in producing neon work, a list of local neon fabricators would be provided.
• Please note that summer temperatures in Las Vegas can exceed 110 degrees so time outdoors is recommended to be limited. If any special provisions are required or for any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that staff may not be able to respond to your inquiry immediately, especially if submitted during the evening or over the weekend, so please plan accordingly as the deadline for your completed submission is firm and will not be waived.
• The artist will be paid a stipend of a total of $3,000 plus a modest budget for materials if required.
• The selected artist will also be provided an $800 travel allowance.
• Studio space and separate lodging are provided free of charge for eight weeks.
• No additional funding is provided to the artist by the Museum.
The Neon Museum requires the artist contribute a mutually agreed upon artwork to the Museum collection at the completion of the residency.
Qualified artists should:
• Please provide Support Materials as described in the Application. Support Materials must adhere to the directions.
• Support Materials must be uploaded to a Dropbox folder. (For more info on Dropbox go to www.dropbox.com.) Please create a link to your Dropbox folder and share to email address: email@example.com.
• Please ensure you have received a confirmation notification within 24 hours of submitting your materials.
No mail submissions will be accepted.
Submission deadline: Friday, February 7, 2020 at 5:00pm PST.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Friday, February 7, 2020 at 5:00pm PST: National Artist in Residence application deadline. All applications MUST BE RECEIVED by this day and time. Late submissions WILL NOT be accepted.
• Friday, March 13, 2020: Selected National Artist announced.
• The Neon Museum residency period begins Monday, June 15, 2020.
• The residency period concludes Friday, August 7, 2020.
Copyright 2021 - Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council. All Rights Reserved.