Due to the Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) Events May be Cancelled. Please Refer to the Official Organization’s Website for More Details.
The 12th International Competition of Young Dance Creators OPUS 1 – short dance piece 2020.
The aim of this competition is to promote contemporary dance and discover fresh talents. Not to push for competitiveness, but rather to foster the creativity of young performers.
Where: Slovenian National Theatre Celje, Slovenia
When: 11th April 2020
Deadline for applications: 1st March 2020, 12.00 PM CET
The 12th International Competition of Young Dance Creators OPUS 1 – short dance piece 2020 (Slovenian National Theatre Celje, 11th April 2020) is open to dancers born between 1996 and 2004, who can apply with:
– A solo dance piece which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancer
– A duet, which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancers – shared authorship
Dancers who apply must reside outside of Slovenia. Dancers residing in Slovenia must reach international competition through national contests.
Age groups and lengths of short dance pieces:
Group M (born between 2001 and 2004) – maximum 4 minutes;
Group L (born between 1996 and 2000) – maximum 7 minutes
(more about the theme in the attachment)
The jury will be composed from three renowned international dance experts. In previous years, jury members included Susan Quinn (SEAD), Matej Kejžar, Martin Sonderkamp, Milan Tomášik (Les SlovaKs), Eduardo Torroja, Ryuzo Fukuhara, Roberto Olivan, Boštjan Antončič (Rosas), Aleksandra Janeva Imfeld, Ofra Idel (MASH), Davide Sportelli, Ana Štefanec (EnKnap) …
This year’s jury will be announced as soon as it is confirmed!
The prizes will be awarded for:
– The Best short dance piece- dance performance and choreography (group M: EUR 300, group L: EUR 800)
– The Best idea (group M: EUR 150, group L: EUR 400)
– The Best dancer (group M: EUR 150, group L: EUR 400)
Apart from these awards, performers will also vie for the following:
– Dance studio Intakt and JSKD will select a young dance artist (only from group L), who will get a grant for producing a new dance project, which will be premiered at the OPUS 2021 and have postproduction at the Platforma festival of contemporary dance in Maribor
– A young jury will select one short dance piece and award its performer with participation at dance classes and workshops at The International Summer Dance School in Ljubljana
– Matjaz Farič, artistic director of the International Contemporary Dance Festival Front@, will select dance pieces, which will be featured at the 15th edition of the Front@ festival, August 2020.
– price for participation on CREATION platform (organized by MASH) in Jerusalem in December 2020 (only for group L)
How to apply:
A curatorship will select young dance performers on the basis of the received videos to participate in the competition.
There is no entrance fee.
Republic of Slovenia Public Fund for Cultural Activities (JSKD)
Štefanova 5, PO Box 1699, 1000 Ljubljana
Tel.: 00 386 (0)1 24 10 522
For further information, please visit http://www.jskd.si/ples/prireditve_ples/opus/opus_20/english_opus_20.htm
Copyright 2020 - Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council. All Rights Reserved.