After 2020’s successful summertime Fairy Door Scavenger Hunt (Hunt) at the Holden Arboretum, Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is again hosting this fun, family-oriented exhibit at both of their campuses – the Holden Arboretum & the Cleveland Botanical Garden. HF&G is seeking Artists to create fairy doors, as well as Artists to create additional engagement and interactive elements to make this an immersive and whimsical experience for HF&G guests.
The purpose of the Hunt is to both create a fun experience for kids, as well as showcase lesser visited parts of the gardens, spread out visitors for physical distancing purposes, and to introduce a unique and exciting way to enjoy both the Arboretum and the Botanical Garden.
Guests will be given a map of the campus with the general location of each suite of doors. Using on-site signage, guests can scan a QR code which will take them to a webpage with a storyline about the fairies, as well as information about each artist.
Scope of Project:
- Artists will be compensated between $100 – $500 per Final compensation and number of doors or interactive elements submitted by each artist to be determined during contract negotiations after notification of award.
- Exhibit will be on display from Tuesday, July 6 – Sunday, August 29, 2021. Date of installation is Monday, July 5; deinstallation is Monday, August 30, 2021.
- Rules for creating Fairy Doors
- Should be between 6 – 12 inches tall
- The shape, finish, and theme of each door is up to the Artist
- Doors will be installed outside in the elements, so durability is paramount – kids, wild animals, and the unpredictable summer climate must be considered when creating the doors
- Artists can install their doors nestled into the crevices of trees and roots, tree stumps, onto stone and wall structures, and other garden elements if approved ahead of installation.
- Doors may be attached to tree stumps or rocks with outdoor grade glue or other fasteners. No nails or toxic glues can be used on live trees or plants. HF&G has suggestions on materials that can be used but your suggestions are welcome.
- Decoration on the doors may include paint, metal, ceramics, botanicals, and other natural materials. Please NO GLITTER or excessive use of plastic or store-bought decorations.
- Rules for additional Engagement and Interactive elements:
- Portals and Life-Sized Doors – may be kid-sized or usable by adults. Elements must be constructed of durable materials and failsafe installed for safety. Installation assistance from HF&G staff may be available pending discussions.
- Engagement & Selfie-Opportunities – these elements may be complicated or simple, but should be whimsical encounters for guests to discover while searching for the Fairy Doors
- Seating & Gathering Spaces – kid-sized and made of durable, non-splintering materials. HF&G does have some fallen logs and potentially some tree stumps the artist could work with.
The Fairy Door Scavenger Hunt is the primary summer exhibit at both campuses therefore HF&G will conduct a significant media campaign including a press release, weekly eblast communications (with 30K+ subscribers), and paid and organic social media. Artist that have a web and social media presence are encouraged to promote the show as well.
Letter of Interest in one email shall be sent to Jillian Slane, Director of Exhibits, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on March 22, 2021. Email shall include:
- Artist statement or explanation of why you want to be included in this project (500 words max)
- Images of at least 5 examples of your most relevant work, preferably created in the last 5 years
- CV or resume
- Contact information including websites and social media so that we can learn more about your work
Notification of Award:
- on or before April 3, 2021
Still have Questions? Please contact Jillian Slane at email@example.com